If there's any breakfast that should be a staple in your house, it's these Chorizo Breakfast Burritos. They're packed with protein to keep you fueled up all day, full of flavor, and as a one-pan recipe, require very little clean-up. That means you can have a complete breakfast ready in minutes any day of the week!
I'm from Texas, so burritos are almost always on the menu for me and they're the perfect breakfast. Make a batch in advance for a week of delicious breakfasts ready to go. Even if you're not a breakfast person, these chorizo breakfast burritos will change your mind.
Breakfast for Everyone
In any given household, the chef is put to the test to create food everyone will not only eat, but enjoy. That means making it hearty enough, healthy enough, and tasty enough to please moms, dads, and kids of all ages. You can tailor this breakfast to any diet. Everyone can make it their own with the provide substitutions and add-ons suggestions.
I prefer making my seasoning from scratch, adding lots of seasonings, and not skimping on the heat, but you change it up at every step. Don't be afraid to try something new and make it your own! This doesn't have to be a chorizo breakfast burrito, it could be a bacon breakfast burrito or a veggie breakfast burrito!
Subscribe for Recipes!
If you enjoyed this, then join us for weekly recipe roundups and special treats!
Ingredients and Substitutions
Ground Pork - Traditional Mexican Chorizo and Spanish Chorizo is a spicy pork sausage, but you can still get great flavor if you prefer something else. Feel free to substitute with bacon, ground beef if you're not a fan of pork, ground turkey if you're on a low calorie diet, shredded sweet potatoes if you're vegetarian, or soyrizo if you're vegan.
Chorizo Seasoning - You can buy pre-made chorizo seasoning at the grocery store or you can make your own. Making your own seasoning is best if there are certain spices you need to avoid for more restrictive diets. If you're not sure where to start, try my homemade chorizo seasoning mix.
Butter - I recommend unsalted butter if you want to control the salt content, and olive oil or ghee can also be used for Paleo and Whole30 diets.
Onion - Vidalia yellow onions are my go-to for their hint of sweetness. If you're on a Low Fodmap diet, you can sub yellow onion for the green onions or leeks.
Hatch Green Chiles - Hatch chiles are common in the south, though may be seasonal. Feel free to use regular green chiles or omit if you like a milder flavor. I particularly love the 505 Hatch Green Chile brand. You can occasionally get a big jar at Costco if you're lucky!
Eggs - Eggs are a great source of protein, though can be high in calories. Feel free to substitute with egg beaters to reduce calories or egg whites to lower cholesterol. Or make your breakfast burrito without eggs! Who says eggs are required for breakfast? Breakfast is a time of day!
Cheddar Cheese - Cheddar adds some good saltiness to the mixture, though it can be traded for Mexican cheese, Monterey jack cheese or even pepper jack if that's more your style. Dairy-free? Leave it out or substitute your favorite vegan cheese!
Sour Cream - I like to put the sour cream on the warm flour tortilla before adding the egg mixture. It holds everything together and ensures that you get sour cream in every bite! Use plain greek yogurt for low carb and keto diets.
Tortillas - Personally I prefer to use raw tortillas that you cook up in a dry skillet before you start, but if you're looking for a low-carb option my family uses Mission's Carb Balance Tortillas. If you'd like to skip the tortilla altogether, do a chorizo burrito bowl! I love a good chorizo sausage scramble bowl piled high with avocado for low carb/keto eaters.
Top Tips & Tricks
Whether you're new to cooking or a seasoned pro, both love this easy chorizo breakfast burrito recipe for a hearty breakfast. It's fast and versatile to begin with, but I've shared my top tips and tricks to make it even better!
- Make-ahead breakfast & creative leftover chefs rejoice! Make the filling for these burritos in advance for breakfast with basic assembly required. You can also use and leftover meat for nachos, burritos, taco salad, and even these keto chorizo scotch eggs!
- To make this a one-dish recipe, push your meat and veggie mixture around to the edges once cooked and drop the eggs in the center of the pan. Stir to scramble, then begin to incorporate the pork mixture.
- Use raw tortillas! Most packaged flour tortillas come pre-cooked which means they're filled with preservatives to extend their shelf life. Raw tortillas are not only more natural, they also cook up better too. You'll notice a fresh-cooked tortilla is fluffy like naan bread and oh-so-soft! These are my favorite and can be found at Costco.
- Load up your burrito with other veggies like red bell pepper, black beans, or potatoes. The red pepper can be sautéed teed with the onions and green chiles. If you have leftover roasted potatoes or even french fries, they'll add texture and deliciousness to each bite!
- To reheat, you can bake your yummy breakfast burrito in the oven at 300 for 10 minutes or until warmed through.
There's a misconception that chorizo and other breakfast sausage is bad for you. This is because chorizo sausages usually have a higher fat content. Since this recipe calls for the meat and not a cased sausage, most of the fat can be drained off once the meat is cooked.
Raw meats range in color from light pink to dark red. As they cook, they'll become a dull red, light brown, or dark brown. Be sure to break up the meat into smaller pieces as it cooks so all the pieces cook through. On med-high heat, this should take about 5-6 minutes.
Assembled breakfast burritos should either be frozen immediately or eaten the same day. This is to prevent the tortilla from getting soggy. I often make the meat in advance to make fresh burritos when I want them. The cooked meat mixture will last in the fridge for up to 7 days.
If you're fancy and have a panini-press or even an old school Foreman grill, this is my #1 recommendation since the grill marks will add more texture and crunch to the tortilla. Otherwise, you reheat on the stove in a skillet for 3-5 minutes per side or stick in a 300 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes.
The best way to do this is to drain off any residual oil from the meat, egg, and veggie mixture, though there shouldn't be much! In addition, don't let them sit too long after prepping them.
We would LOVE to hear what you think! If you try these, leave a comment below!
Chorizo Breakfast Burritos
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 tbsp chorizo seasoning
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ onion (diced)
- ½ cup hatch green chile (can omit if don't want spicy)
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 6 tbsp sour cream
- 6 tortillas
For the Meat Filling
- In a large skillet, add the ground pork and chorizo seasoning over medium high heat. Stir every few minutes, making sure to break up the ground pork and that seasoning is well incorporated. When just cooked through, remove from pan and set aside.
Preparing the Burrito Filling
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add the onions and hatch green chile. Sauté until onions are translucent. Push onions and green chile to the sides of the pan.
- If needed, add a small pat of butter to the center of the pan. Crack all 12 eggs into the center, stirring while they set.
- Once they have begun to form, start mixing in the onions and chile until the eggs are mostly formed.
- Return the chorizo pork to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add the cheese to the pan and stir to combine and fully melted.
Assembling the Burritos
- On each tortilla, spread sour cream. Then add the burrito meat mixture in a line down the center and fold or roll.
- Serve hot with avocado or hot sauce as desired!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag @thatzestlife in your photo! I would love to see what you made!
My mouth is watering! Loving this on a couple of levels. Definitely going to try your chorizo seasoning recipe. And then I didn't even know fresh tortillas were a thing?? These burritos are happening at my house!
So addicting! This is going to be a regular breakfast in our house!
5 stars!! I polished 2 of these off the other morning and wanted to go back for a 3rd but my kid had already stolen the last tortilla!! Will defo make it again
This is such a great recipe and was so delicious! My hubby and daughter really enjoyed this! Can’t wait to make this again!
Oooh all that smokey chorizo flavor in breakfast burritos! Love it!